Spinal Cord Injury
Orange County Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
Decades of Experience as Former Defense Lawyers
The Law Office of Marshall Silberberg has the experience, the knowledge, the determination and the passion to seek the maximum fair compensation for our clients and their family members. We advocate for the rights of our clients who have suffered spinal injuries as a result of an accident caused by another or from surgical mishaps that should never have occurred.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
If you have suffered serious spinal injury, such as a herniated disc, nerve damage, fractured vertebrae, paralysis or quadriplegia, or your loved one has been seriously injured by an accident or negligence, you have a right to seek the compensation you need.
Common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Acts of violence
- Industrial accidents
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Pedestrian accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Bus accidents
- Scooter accidents
The causes of spinal cord injuries vary. Our firm will thoroughly investigate your circumstances in order to determine who may be held liable for your injuries.
Long-Term Effects of a Spinal Cord Injury
When almost all feeling and ability to control movement are lost below the spinal cord, this is referred to as a “complete” injury. If you still have some of your motor or sensory function below the injured area, your injury is “incomplete.” There are also several kinds of paralysis that can occur when you injure your spinal cord, from tetraplegia to quadriplegia.
A spinal cord injury of any severity can result in:
- Loss of sensation
- Loss of movement
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Difficulty breathing, coughing or clearing secretions from your lungs
- Pain or an intense stinging sensation in your spinal cord
- Changes in sexual sensitivity, function and fertility
If you have experienced significant trauma to your spinal cord due to someone else’s negligence or recklessness, please contact our Orange County spinal cord injury attorneys at the Law Office of Marshall Silberberg immediately. We can evaluate your case, advise you of your rights, and guide you through the entire legal process.
Understanding the Real Cost of a Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries are one of the most catastrophic injuries a person can experience.
Even such an injury that is diagnosed as comparatively mild will likely cause permanent and debilitating effects. If you have suffered spine damage, in order to properly pursue compensation in the form of a personal injury claim, you will need to gain a full understanding of all the costs of your spinal cord injury, both financial and physical.
The financial costs of a spinal cord injury may include:
- Emergency care: Many spinal cord injuries are caused by violent accidents, such as a car accident or truck accident, and will require the injured parties to be taken into emergency care at once. High costs are often associated with any emergency surgery or procedure.
- Hospitalization: Recovering from spine damage may take weeks, months, or longer in the hospital and under intensive care. The costs for such an extended stay in nearly guaranteed to exhaust a person’s healthcare insurance coverage and could eventually range into the millions of dollars.
- Rehabilitation: After leaving the hospital, a patient with a spinal cord injury will rarely be entirely finished with recovery. Frequent rehabilitative therapy may be necessary to restore use of body parts and mobility. Some patients need rehabilitation for the rest of their lives, which can quickly pile up bills.
- Lost wages: Returning to work with a spinal cord injury can be extremely difficult, if not impossible. Even office jobs at a desk can cause unbearable pain in the damaged region. The wages lost while recovering and possibly after becoming unable to keep gainful employment should be considered in any resulting personal injury claims.
The physical costs of a spinal cord injury can vary, such as:
- Paralysis: It is not uncommon for a spinal cord injury to cause some sort of paralysis: temporary, permanent, partial, and/or total. Patients often describe the sudden loss of control of a body part emotionally devastating. Such nominal damages need to be calculated in your claim.
- Loss of independence: People living with serious spinal cord injuries may not be able to function well at all on their own. Relying on loved ones and caretakers can be uncomfortable, and the loss of independence an unpredicted physical cost of the injury.
- Lessened enjoyment of life: Understandably, many people who have suffered a permanent spinal cord injury will report that their overall enjoyment of life has been lessened, due to chronic pain, feelings of helplessness, or both.
When you come to our spinal cord injury lawyers in Orange County for legal advocacy, we will want to start by fully evaluating your case and identifying any and all damages that could be pertinent to your claim. From there, we can build a case that protects your right to recovery and best interests.
A recent case we settled with a Southern California municipality involved our client, who had been arrested for leaving the scene of an accident. He was drunk at the time. The police handcuffed him, threw him to the ground, and broke his neck. He was not paralyzed — yet. However, during his incarceration, he became quadriplegic.
Another case involved a woman who repeatedly sought medical care for pain she had in her back. What was diagnosed as urinary incontinence resulted in a condition of paraplegia due to failure to diagnose stenosis. These kinds of misdiagnoses and medical errors should never happen. Yet they do all the time.
The Law Office of Marshall Silberberg is proud to be able to represent clients in some of the most difficult times of their lives. With decades of experience as former defense attorneys, we are able to provide our clients with well-rounded representation that has earned us the respect of our peers and even opposing counsel! We fight for maximum compensation on behalf of our clients and have obtained more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements to date. Don’t hesitate to contact our firm for more information about your case. We have offices in Irvine and Los Angeles for client convenience.
Call (949) 565-4281 for a free case evaluation with our firm!
“We highly recommend the Law Offices of Marshall Silberberg for any personal injury case you may be facing. We will forever be grateful for their aptitude to serve families in our community and their support in defending our son’s future.”- Diana M.
“I can't begin to express how wonderful their service is. Will Collins and Marshall are a great team and will provide you with what you're expecting, plus more. Marshall even personally visited me out of state when I was receiving rehabilitation services.”- Amy T.
“He and his staff always kept me informed. He personally answered his cell phone whenever I called. He fought for me, and in the end, obtained a settlement in 14 months that was far greater than any of the similar cases I had researched.”- Craig F.
“There are no words that describe how grateful I am for Marshall, Will, and the whole team. They fought to get justice for my family, myself, and my unborn baby. When it comes to being committed and fighting for justice, they truly do a great job.”- Karla B.
“Marshall did a great job for me! He was always there for me, if I called he would be right there! He and the whole team at The Law Office of Marshall Silberberg were awesome, 5 stars! Don't know of anybody better.”- Charles T.
Under our representation, your case will be backed by decades of experience; experience that includes hundreds of trial cases and countless courtroom wins. Our straight-shooting, no-nonsense approach has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements.
We have spent decades cultivating close working relationships with an array of physicians and industry experts. We use these connections to provide invaluable insight and expert testimonies on the cases we take to court.
At our firm, the attorney-client relationship is sacred. We are committed to bringing a sense of peace to the victims and families we represent. Nothing is more rewarding than when we can help our clients ease the pain and frustration their injuries have caused them.
Our tenacity and work ethic set us apart. We’re not afraid to roll up our sleeves and really get to work on a case. From our personal meetings with prominent field experts to the development and strategy of your overall case, we will zealously stand by your side from start to finish.